Saturday, September 24, 2011

Dear Autumn, I'm so glad you are here!

"It's Autumn?   It is!   It's the first day of Autumn!  A time of hot chocolatey mornings and toasty marshmallow evenings, and, best of all, leaping into leaves!"  
                                                                                           -Winnie the Pooh


I left during the summer heat. I returned to cool breezes and red leaves. It felt just like the change of seasons in the Hundred Acre Woods. And I could only repeat Pooh's words of wonder.

Autumn is:

Afghan's draped on every chair and couch.

Stacks of books for quiet evenings.

Early morning darkness.

Chai tea served in rustic pottery mugs.

Pumpkins, in every shape size and form.

Thick socks and boots.

Browns, reds, yellows, and oranges.

Crochet projects.

Hot apple cider.

Adventures into crackly floored woods.

School studies interrupted for a walk in the leaves.

The unmistakable smell of burning leaves.


It's a gentle time. A space to settle down from the busyness of summer and just live. It's a quieter time, a slower time, a time of little wonders and simple pleasures. It's a chance to get settled in and ready for a sleepy winter.

Tell me what Autumn is for you!

~Amanda

Fine print:  Pictures are not my own. If they were, the top apple in the apple basket would have a bite out of it. :) 









2 comments:

  1. I dropped by your blog today. I love autumn, too. It is one of my favorite times of the year - leaves changing color, woolly bear caterpillars, sweaters, and sipping hot cocoa or tea. And oh yes, breathing in the fresh,crisp air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is hoodies and snuggling cold noses under fleece blankets during "Miss Potter", dancing down the sidewalk just b/c the air is the sort that makes you feel like dancing.....it's the most wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete