Fog closed in over the highway, blanketing everything but the road from view. It was almost as if we had entered a world of cloudy dreams, a gateway into another land. And then, almost as suddenly as we had entered the blurry tunnel, we emerged.
There they were.
Blue and boldly scalloped against the skyline. The blue ridge mountains.
There are no words to describe them.
After a long trip we were glad to sit on a dock near a lake and splash our feet in the cold water. Many fascinating things were discovered at the "lake of shining water". Probably the most interesting being a snakeskin.
Our cabin was reached after a tremendously scary climb up our own mountain. A climb I cringe ever day to repeat. I'm getting really good at holding my breath as the van attempts to climb it.
The cabin is lovely. Some of the walls are covered in tree bark, there is a headboard made of sticks, and a screened in porch perfect for reading. The kitchen (my very own domain this vacation) is perfect. Folks, I don't think I'm coming home.
After a campfire and way too many marshmallows, we watched the stars come peeping out of the sky. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many.
Today (day 3) started off bright and early. We hit the blue ridge parkway, and sat gasping at the view for the next hour and a half. It's incredible.
Lunch and then we hit the trails. We climbed a mountain. Really, truly we did. See that waterfall in the picture? We started there and climbed all the way around and up, to where I took the picture.
After a strenuous climb and a equally exhausting walk/ slide down we collapsed in the car.
And the strangest adventure of the day began. We found ourselves on a narrow winding road. A very narrow road, with intersecting "drives" labeled names like "Marie's Way," and " Overthemountain" (that spelling is correct). And then the road got drastically narrower. 1 lane, the other blocked off with construction vehicles. And then suddenly we found ourselves stuck. Behind huge equipment, a sheer drop off, and no place to turn around. We sat there for almost a half an hour, before everybody could be backed up and turned around to let us pass.
But what we found at the bottom of the mountain made it worth it all. A small general store.
Packed full of candy, bandannas, lovely (if over priced) clothes, and soda. Real general store style soda in glass bottles.
That is, by the way the best soda in the world. I wanna buy a case before I leave. :)
Tonight ended with giant marshmallows and smores, and cool mountain air.
Until tomorrow!
Amanda
Fine print: Pictures are all my own.
            
            



.gif)


Sounds fun and breathtaking and just wonderful!!!
ReplyDelete~Amber
Oh, Amanda, it's a good thing we're headed to the Great Smokies ourselves in a couple weeks or I'd be absolutely green with envy. And how well I remember those terrifying narrow roads near that delightful general store! My mom, sister, and I managed to lose our van's transmission right in that vicinity once, without having any clue where we were (or how to get where we were supposed to be going). No cell signal either in those days. My mom does NOT like the mountains. I love them. :-)
ReplyDeleteWishing you many more wonderful adventures and a blessed time with your family!
Leslie
Oh what fun! We lived in Kentucky for eight months, and never got to see what we had wanted to of the eastern United States, unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteAren't neat general stores fun? Not to mention perfect general store sodas! We've had some interestingly branded sodas before. Besides, soda in glass jar just tastes ten times better than in a plastic bottle. :)
It looks and sounds like you are having an amazing time!
What a beautiful vacation you had. I'd love to go hiking like that someday!
ReplyDelete