Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Superbia Meam

or - My Pride.

I was feeling pretty good about myself today. I had received several compliments about my work. I had over-viewed all that I had accomplished the day before. I felt like I was the best gardener, worker, writer... since time began. :/

Of course, I never said all that. But, subconsciously, I thought it.

I was painting a door. And attempting to do my very best job at painting that door. I was going to prove just how good a painter I could be.

Then it happened.

Things started to go wrong. Nothing big and dreadful happened. Just little things. Some of my paint streaked, I missed several
runs, I painted over a cat hair which left a squiggly line on the smoothness, I got the rim of my can dirty, which meant that the handle of my brush got sticky, which meant that the wet paint transferred right into my palm...

I dripped on the doorknob, and then wiped the paint off onto my jeans, I knelt down to paint the bottom of the door, and, when I stood up, there on the white tile, was the smears of paint from my jeans. Dry now, and smudged.

The paint itself turned against me. It was too green, making the door look like the "Green Forest" crayon out of the Crayola crayon box. Plus it was way too thin, meaning that I had to do coat after coat after coat.

A job that should have taken only 2 hours, took me over four. And by the end of it I was frustrated. Very frustrated. My job looked like an amateurs (which in reality it was) and my pride had undergone the most horrible beating.

The icing on the cake came when I had finished washing out my brush. I reached for my glass of water that sat on the washer right beside my freshly painted door. And saw it.

The washer had tiny, green, polka-dot paint splatters.

ALL OVER IT.

Moral of the story. Don't get proud about your accomplishments. You may find that you aren't as accomplished as you think. If however, you do fall due to pride, call me, I now know the best way to get paint off of a washer.

Amanda

- The Fine Print: Paintbrush image not my own. This post was written as part of a project to see if I could write an entire post without making a million drafts of it or editing it to death, can ya'll tell? This post was also written as part of a blog link series of true to life "outtakes" from my life

7 comments:

  1. LOL just browsing blogs...
    your title is so unique and creative! :)))

    xx,
    Bleah

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I always find splashes of paint on my sewing machine after my sister does a big art project for school. I'd just keep them there but I don't want to ruin the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job!! I think these definitely count :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Stephanie Ann A polka dot - paint splatter sewing machine, that would be kinda fun. : ) Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

    @ Jocee, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your moral theme! It's better to be humble and using our accomplishments to glorify God instead of ourselves. :) Thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Nela

    Thank you for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete