Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Crochet

With Christmas approaching many crafters are looking for ideas for gifts. I know that I spend all year stockpiling tutorials and inspiration, so that I can make as many of my gifts as possible by hand. December is a month of incredible excitement for me as I sew, and glue, and cut, and cook, and crochet little gifts to give my family and friends.

That's why I've been really enjoying this series of posts, as it's given me some great ideas. Today I'm going to join in the linky fun with a couple knit/crochet tutorials that I've found on the internet. (To my family, you may safely read on, none of these will appear this year, If I only had enough time....)

Okay, here we go.
I really want to make one of these. Unfortunately the pattern is in Japanese. : ( I think I'm going to try it making the pattern as I go. We'll see.

This would make an excellent gift. It's so unique and could be color customized for whoever you are giving it to.

From Ravelry.com










Here is something fun and fast. Using the same basic idea of a granny square or a simple circle. You can make lovely little coasters. These are quick to whip up. Here is the link to the tutorial. 










Last but not least.  This would be something you could give to a crafter. I know I for one would love a "sky scarf" kit. All you would need to do is buy the different colors. (Bonus idea: every knitter/ crocheter likes to have new yarn. Make their day and get them a couple of really great luxury skeins of yarn. )

Here is the basic idea. Every day for an entire year you (or your knitting friend) would knit one row onto the scarf, using whatever color best matched the color of the sky that day. By the end of the year the entire scarf would be 365 rows long and document the daily changes in weather.

Not only would this be a fun and unusual sort of journaling. But it would also go pretty fast. Generally it only takes 2 minutes or less to knit one row.

So there you have it, a few fun ideas you might be able to use this Christmas. I'll be linking up with One Stitch at a Time. Looking for more Christmas Ideas? I'd recommend checking out One Stitch at A Time's "Crafting by the Tree" series. I've got a lot of ideas from there. Shhh, don't tell my family. :)


Fine Print and Disclaimer: 
None of these images are mine, none of these projects have I actually completed. I've used them only for inspiration, and to file away for future use. None of these blogs (Except for One Stitch at a Time - which by the way I heartily recommend) do I read or follow.  Also my apologies for the bad spacing in this post. My blog is being bad tonight. : (

Happy Crafting!





3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the sky scarf kit idea! Might have to give that to someone...or just do it myself. ;)
    The rug is really cute, too.

    There are 4 little girls on my Christmas list who are going to get skeins of yarn - they love to create. :)

    Merry Christmas!
    ~Tasha~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amanda,
    After reading your post and considering
    for some time I thought that you might want to take into consideration learning Japaneses:)
    Another wonderful post love it immensely.
    Molly Jane

    ReplyDelete